Did you know that some of our Stained Glass windows are causing a stir as far away as Melton Mowbray?
We recently received a communication from the Rev. Hopewell who is currently working on a part time M.PHIL on the Stained Glass of the Glaswegian designer Douglas Hamilton (1895-1959).
As part of his research he had discovered that there may have been some examples of Hamilton’s work in the Old Parish. With a little research we have identified 4 of our windows which were made by Mr Hamilton. The four windows concerned are - two in the Session Room and two in the Side Sanctuary.
These windows were World War Two Memorials installed and dedicated in Chalmers Church on 6th November 1949. After the union of Chalmers and Trinity in 1982 they were removed before Chalmers was demolished, altered and reinstated in their present positions in The Old Parish.
Douglas Hamilton was a well known designer who served his apprenticeship in Alfred Webster’s Studios in Edinburgh, and in fact ran the business after the death of Alfred and also trained Alfred’s son Gordon, who later took over the family business which became known then as Gordon Websters.
We also have two of Gordon Webster’s windows in the Church which are on the West side of the sanctuary in memory of Mr and Mrs Tom Tunnock, dedicated in 1952.
We have sent some photos of The Hamilton windows to Rev. Hopewell together with the history regarding them.